What echoes through time from this very spot? It’s the story of Saint John Missionary Baptist Church Plaque. This plaque marks more than just a location. It commemorates a journey of faith.
Saint John Missionary Baptist Church’s story begins with Christian pioneers. These pioneers diligently worked to lay the church’s foundation. The church was officially organized in the spring of 1876. Initially, it was known as Free Will Baptist Church.
Mother Eliza Stanford played a pivotal role. She invited Rev. E. M. Griggs to establish churches for African Americans. Rev. Griggs was a state missionary from the Baptist Home Mission Board of New York. This led to the church becoming a regular Missionary Baptist Church. In those early days, the church was on Peak Alley. Rev. Wesley A. Drake served as the interim pastor during that time.
Under Rev. C. L. McPherson’s leadership, the congregation moved. They relocated from Peak Alley to Allen Street at Cochran. In 1907, they built a place of worship. This is when it was named Saint John Missionary Baptist Church. Rev. McPherson was a powerful preacher. He was considered one of the pulpit giants of his time.
In 1886, Rev. McPherson organized several important groups. These included the Sunday School, Baptist Young People’s Union, and the Board of Deacons. He also established the Trustee Board and Deaconess Board A. Saint John had the first Black Usher Board in Dallas. Mrs. McPherson, his wife, founded the Missionary Society.
Dr. C. C. Harper became the pastor in 1914. He established Deaconess Board B and the Mission Chorus. On September 28, 1919, they laid the cornerstone for the Saint John Institute. The institute housed the Almshouse. It provided care for elderly men and women. The Women and Girls Industrial Relief Quarters were also there. The second floor had a chapel. It was used for worship, lectures, and meetings. The third floor was a dormitory. It offered room and board for working women.
Rev. R. T. Andrews took over as pastor in 1929. The church built a parsonage on Thomas Avenue. He made Saint John a prominent missionary organization. A Junior Church was established. Rev. K. B. Polk served as its pastor. Rev. Andrews was known as a business genius.
Dr. E. C. Estell, Sr. became pastor in 1937. He developed a Youth Movement within the church. In 1940, they began renovating the institute building. The congregation worshipped at Booker T. Washington High School during construction. On December 7, 1941, the remodeled Saint John reopened. It featured a stained-glass window and a bell tower. The Missionary Society operated a Nursery School to help working mothers.
Dr. Estell hosted national meetings. President Lyndon B. Johnson appointed him to a committee to prevent racial disputes.
In 1963, the Saint John Baptist Church Highland Village Charitable Foundation was established.
Rev. Robert H. Wilson became pastor in 1966. In 1970, the church voted to purchase its present site.
Dr. Manuel L. Scott became pastor in 1982. Ebony Magazine recognized him as one of America’s 15 Greatest Black Preachers.
The Saint John Missionary Baptist Church continues to offer leadership. It supports evangelism and community outreach. This includes the Jail Ministry and the Bethlehem Foundation.
And so, the legacy of Saint John Missionary Baptist Church, marked by this plaque, is one of enduring faith. It’s a story of community service, and a beacon of hope in Dallas.