On April 10, 1917, Parkview Senior Primary School first opened its doors. It began as Parkview Government School with a modest group of 19 children, one teacher, and acting headmistress, Mrs. Endly. The original schoolhouse was a humble wood and iron structure with just two rooms. This stood on the grounds of what is now Parkview Junior School. Just three months later, Miss G.E. Lance took the helm as principal. The early years of Parkview Senior Primary School were marked by hardship. Epidemics like Spanish Influenza and Scarlet Fever disrupted attendance. Strikes also added to the challenges. By 1919, Parkview Senior Primary School had grown to three teachers and 78 pupils. Space was so tight that one class had to be held in the cloakroom. This marked the beginning of ongoing accommodation issues. By 1920, enrollment reached 100 students. However, the school could only accommodate 65. For the next three decades, the school struggled to keep pace with rising enrollment. The staff room and principal’s office were repurposed as classrooms. Temporary structures were erected on the school grounds. By 1925, Parkview Senior Primary School had 245 students. Renovations added four classrooms, a cloakroom, a staff room, and outbuildings. Even with these improvements, classes remained large, with as many as 52 pupils sharing a desk, three at a time. In 1929, enrollment swelled to 500. Despite the recent renovations, space was once again an issue. Under the leadership of E.P. Baumann, the school board recommended building a second school. Construction began on February 5, 1932. The new school was situated on a three-acre site near Parkview Golf Club. Despite these challenges, life at Parkview Senior Primary School went on. Sports played a vital role. Cricket and soccer teams were established. The school also offered girls’ hockey and tennis. All sporting events took place either at Zoo Lake Sports Club fields or at Parktown Girls High School. Finally, on July 26, 1932, the school was divided. The junior primary remained at the original Ennis Road site. The senior school, with 301 pupils, relocated to the new eight-classroom building on Dundalk Avenue, Dee Road, and Donegal Avenue. The Administrator of the Transvaal, J.S. Smit, officially opened the new Parkview Senior Primary School on September 17, 1932. Both schools maintained the same uniform, colors (those of the Union Jack), and the badge with the letters P.V.S., an abbreviation for Parkview School.
7th Day Adventists
Did you know that the 7th Day Adventists in Johannesburg have a rich history stretching back to the late 19th