“Let’s go to Magnolia Cemetery” That’s what someone might have said to a friend in 1884. We are now standing at the Site of Magnolia Grove Cemetery Plaque. It marks a place of great historical significance for Houston. Magnolia Cemetery has been here since 1884. The founding members of the First German Methodist Church of Houston created this resting place. It was intended to be in the heart of the city. It remains a comfort to the families who visit their ancestors.
The cemetery was originally named Magnolia Graveyard. It was exclusively for members of the First German Methodist Church. However Bering Memorial Methodist Church does not show any record of the cemetery’s connection to it. The first two burials were John P. Steiner and Arthur Steiner. These occurred on November 13 1884 before the official organizational meeting.
The original trustees included Reverend William Knolle August Bering and Conrad Bering. Joseph Issac Charles Beneke and Jacob Bader also served. Henry Stabe R. H. Roco Charles Zink F. Bonewitz and George Henrichsen were trustees too. Lot prices varied based on location. They were priced at $50 $35 and $20.
The Magnolia Cemetery Company was officially registered on March 4 1886. The Secretary of State of Texas issued Charter No. 75842. About two months later the cemetery purchased a ten-acre tract. This included the original graveyard. August and Conrad Bering arranged the purchase after buying it from Joseph Barton and his wife. Both transactions amounted to $1350. The property stretched from what is now West Dallas Avenue to the edge of Buffalo Bayou. Joseph Barton was later buried in the cemetery.
On February 8 1892 an amendment to the charter was requested. August Bering George Henrichsen and Conrad Bering made the request. C.H. Beneke Ernest Fuchs and William J. Frederick also joined. The amendment extended membership privileges to churches other than the First German Methodist Church. The ten-acre tract was then valued at $5000. By 1900 over 500 interments had taken place at Magnolia Cemetery.
In 1929 the City of Houston decided to pave Buffalo Drive now Allen Parkway. It ran across the northern part of the cemetery property. The cemetery lacked funds to pay the paving assessments. A compromise was reached with the city. The cemetery ceded all property north of Buffalo Drive to the south bank of Buffalo Bayou. This happened at a special meeting on June 20 1929.
The Cemetery’s application to operate as a non-profit Corporation was approved on September 5 1939. The affidavit stated the property would be used as a public cemetery only. By 1939 the Cemetery had accommodated 2200 interments.
By 1970 there were 3663 interments and most lots had been sold. The money sustained the grounds. Many original lot owners were deceased. Lot ownership was in the hands of second or third-generation successors. Dues became difficult to collect. The cemetery fell into disrepair due to lack of funds. Many lot owners chose not to have additional burials.
The trustees realized the need for a permanent maintenance fund. The south 1.01 acres of Magnolia Cemetery bordering West Dallas Avenue had been reserved. On September 21 1970 this tract was sold to the American General Corporation. A perpetual care fund for the cemetery was established. In 1973 the north end of the cemetery was also sold to American General.
Currently Magnolia Cemetery Corporation operates as a non-profit perpetual care cemetery. It ensures care and maintenance for future generations. There are over 3800 interments. Magnolia Cemetery has an endowment fund for operational expenses. It occasionally receives aid from American General whose founder Gus Wortham has a prominent Mausoleum there. Today the Site of Magnolia Grove Cemetery Plaque is a reminder. It marks a place of rest history and community.