How about we delve into the story behind the Jules Francois Archibald Plaque? It marks the former residence of a remarkable man. This plaque commemorates Jules Francois Archibald. He was not just anyone. Archibald was the co-founder and editor of “The Bulletin” magazine.
Let’s journey back to 1856. John Feltham Archibald was born in Geelong. His mother’s death profoundly impacted him. When he was just four years old, she passed away. Relatives cared for him while his father worked on the goldfields.
Archibald’s early life showed literary promise. At 14, he began an apprenticeship at the Warrnambool Examiner. He was determined to become a journalist. However, he was too shy to submit articles to his own paper. Instead, he sent them to other publications.
At 18, Archibald moved to Melbourne. He faced challenges finding work. He took on various jobs before joining the Victorian Education Department. During this time, he developed a fascination with French culture. This led him to change his name to Jules Francois.
Dismissed from public service in 1878, Archibald found work with a Queensland engineering firm. He experienced rural life working on the goldfields at Cooktown. He then moved to Sydney. He secured a position as a clerk for the Evening News. He eventually became a reporter.
Archibald then co-founded The Bulletin with John Haynes. The first issue appeared on 31 January 1880. Archibald was only 24. The magazine quickly became known for its insightful cartoons and biting commentary. There was even a libel suit. William Henry Traill took over as editor during this time. Traill focused on nationalist and protectionist themes. This caused Haynes to leave for politics.
Archibald battled depression and ill health. In 1883, he traveled to England. He developed strong anti-British sentiments. He felt Australia should sever ties with Britain. He met Rosa Frankenstein. She followed him to Sydney. They married in 1885 but their marriage proved disastrous.
In 1886, Traill sold his interest in The Bulletin. Archibald became the editor. William McLeod joined as business manager. Archibald attracted talented writers like Henry Lawson. The Bulletin championed protectionism and the White Australia Policy. By 1889, it was known as the “bushman’s Bible.”
Archibald’s health continued to decline. He handed over the editorship in 1902. He planned to launch a monthly magazine called The Lone Hand. By 1906, his mental health deteriorated significantly. He was admitted to Callan Park Asylum. He was discharged and readmitted several times.
Archibald sold his interest in The Bulletin in 1914. He made provisions in his will. He allocated funds for a fountain in Sydney and for supporting distressed journalists. In 1919, he advised Smith’s Weekly.
Archibald died on 10 September 1919. This plaque marks where Jules Francois Archibald lived from 1906 to 1919. It was a period that encapsulates his life’s work. His legacy lives on through the Archibald Prize. It also exists in the fountain he envisioned for Sydney. Both continue to enrich Australia’s cultural landscape.